Unlike yesteryears, the balance between physical labor and rest is not adequately maintained nowadays. We ruthlessly wreck our health and take notice only when adverse symptoms start disturbing our lives. Acidity is one such ailment. Burning sensation in the chest, lack of appetite, sour oral secretion/belching, vomiting, headache, frequent indigestion etc. are some of the symptoms.
Hyper-acidity is mainly caused when hydrochloric acid, an important component of digestive juices is produced in excess. Acidity is quite a simple problem when it begins, but can get out of hand easily. It might even lead to ulcer formation in the digestive tract.
Home remedies to combat acidity
1) Tender fruit pulp of coconut, tender coconut water, cucumber juice and thick skinned lemons can soothe gastric irritation because they are alkaline.
2) Bitter gourd(karela) is another excellent aid to dispel acidity.
3) A teaspoon of amla (Indian gooseberry) powder diluted in water is also effective.
4) A decoction of sandal (chandan) consumed thrice a day also proves to be beneficial.
5) Besides these, intestinal toxins can be counteracted with benign and protective lactic acid- present in buttermilk, yoghurt and sour milk.
6) Consuming lots of water can aid digestion and help flush out toxins.
7) Eat only when hungry because digestive juices are released in the stomach only when one is hungry. Otherwise, undigested food in the stomach leads to fermentation.
8) Include green leafy vegetables and sprouts in your diet. These contain vitamins B and E which aid digestion and also facilitate the elimination of acids from the body. ‘Raita’ prepared from cucumber and salads are a tried and trusted digestive aid.
9) Cold beverages with or after meals should be particularly avoided.
10) Avoid canned and junk food, artificially ripened fruits and vegetables kept in cold storage.
11) Avoid heavy intake of spices and aerated drinks that are highly acidic and strong enough to dissolve teeth and bones.
12) Too much tea and coffee, garlic, onions and excessive smoking should be avoided.
13) Alcohol is not advisable for those who suffer from acidity because it tends to aggravate the problem.
14) Weight reduction is also essential because excessive weight puts too much pressure on the esophagus, and heartburn follows.
Related Posts That You May Like: