* Wheat is especially valuable in the prevention and treatment of pyorrhea. It takes time to chew wheat chappatis. This compels one to chew hard, not only providing the much-needed exercise for the teeth and gums but also helps the digestion process.
* Chewing unripe guava is an excellent tonic for teeth and gums. It stops the bleeding from gums due to styptic effect and richness in vitamin C. Chewing the leaves of the guava tree also helps prevent bleeding from the gums. A decoction of root bark can also be used as a mouth wash for swollen gums.
* Tooth-decay can be prevented by regular consumption of apples, as they possess a mouth cleansing property and the acid content, apart form its nutritive value assists in promoting the flow of saliva which is beneficial to the teeth.
* Grapes are also useful in promoting tooth decay. The organic acids of grapes are strongly antiseptic.
* Lemon and lime also promote healthy teeth and gums, due to their vitamin C content. They strengthen the gums and teeth and are very effective in preventing and curing acute inflammation of gums. A glass of fresh citrus juice in the morning is of great value in keeping the gums pink and healthy.
* Raw spinach (palak) juice is another valuable ‘food remedy’ for the prevention and treatment of pyorrhea, because of its beneficial effects on the teeth and gums. This effect is greatly enhanced if the spinach juice is taken in combination with carrot juice.
Related Posts That You May Like: