Hiccups are sudden, uncontrollable, noisy repeated sounds caused by involuntary contractions of the diaphragm. Drinking alcohol, hot or spicy meals, heavy meals, excessive smoking, and emotional stress – these are some of the causes that are likely to trigger hiccups, though the list could be endless.
Although they are disconcerting and embarrassing, they are usually harmless and self limited. Most of the time, they do not last for more than a few minutes. Severe or prolonged hiccups need medical intervention.
Some of the favorite home remedies are listed here, though most hiccups are transient and disappear as quickly as they appear.
* Sit and hold your breath for some time and drink cold water from the far side of a glass.
* Breathe in and breathe out through a paper bag.
* Bend down as if to pick up an object which is on the floor.
* For persistent hiccups, cardamom (elaichi) powder should be mixed with honey and should be taken orally.
* Boil 15-30 gm of beans with pods in 200 ml of water. Add 3 pieces of ginger. Boil until it reduces to half and add crystalline sugar. Drink this soup in 2-3 doses in a day.
* Put 3 gm clove and 10 gm orange peel in water. Boil for ½ an hour and drink this solution.
* Crush 30 gm of fresh ginger and squeeze out the juice. Add 30 ml of honey to it. Take 1 tsp, 2-3 times a day.
Related Posts That You May Like: