Irregular menstrual periods have become very common these days for a lot of women in their reproductive age and they suffer great agonies when their period does not come on time. A delay of 4-5 days may be fine but if it exceeds 8 days, then it's certainly a cause for concern.
|Worrying about a late period won't help you!|
Irregularity in menstruation can be due to a number of causes. There may be underdevelopment or congestion of genital organs. Constitutional diseases, like anemia, tuberculosis and even chronic malaria are some diseases also commonly responsible for causing scanty menses at prolonged intervals.Some women suffer from endocrinal disorders, like hypothyroidism, toxic goiter, PCOS/ PCOD and other hormonal disturbances. The best thing for those who are bugged by the problem of delayed and irregular periods would be to consult a gynecologist who, after thorough check-up, can find out the cause and treat you accordingly.
After ascertaining the cause for your irregular menstruation, you may try some of these effective home-remedies. Pregnancy is also the cause of a missed / late period. So you might want to take a pregnancy test, before trying these remedies.
* Green unripe papaya is also useful in case of a delayed or late period. Cut a few pieces of raw papaya and eat half a bowl of such pieces or else you can make a simple salad from papaya and have it. However if you cannot get unripe papaya, you can make do with with ripe ones as well, but unripe ones are most effective.
*Intake of aloe vera juice is found to be highly effective when one has a problem of irregular periods. One should start having half a glass of pure aloe juice on an empty stomach once in the morning and another half glass in the evening. Refer to this article if you want to know the procedure of making fresh aloe juice at home. However, instead of adding any fruit juice as suggested in that article, add only pure water to it.
If making fresh aloe juice regularly is a bother for you and you have a lot of aloe plants growing at home, you may prepare aloe-sugar syrup to store it for 1-2 months. For that you have to extract aloe-juice from the leaves of aloe plants and mix it with almost equal amounts of sugar and prepare a syrupy mixture by boiling it over a low flame. When the mixture cools, store it in a glass bottle. Have 1-2 tbsps of this syrup regularly the first thing in the morning. Alternatively, you can buy organic aloe vera juice from the market (Baba Ramdev's aloe vera juice is also good) and have it regularly twice a day as mentioned above.
* Another way is to scoop out some fresh aloe gel (excluding the yellow part) and mix it with some of jaggery (Gud) and have it regularly on an empty stomach in the morning and one more time in the evening.
Til (Sesame )
* A decoction of cumin (jeera) and gingelly (sesame) (Til) seeds, sweetened with jaggery helps to set off menstruation. Add 1 tbsp each of jeera and Til in water and boil it till the water reduces to three fourths. Add some jaggery to taste. Alternatively you might try making Til (Sesame) ladoos (see recipe here) and have 1 such ladoo, the first thing thing in the morning followed by half a glass of cow's milk.
*Take equal quantities of Til (sesame seeds), Pippali (Long Pepper), Black Pepper, Dry Ginger anad Bharangi (see info about Bharangi here). All these can be procured from an Ayurvedic pharmacy. Powder them and store it in a bottle. Have 1 tsp of this powder with jaggery 2 times a day, the first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and once in the evening.
Amla (Indian Gooseberries)
Chew fresh, ripe Indian gooseberries (Amla) early in the morning. If fresh ones are not available, you can make do with Amla juice as well. Take 3 tsp of Amla juice and mix it with 3 tsp of honey and have it. You can use Amla juice from Banba Ramdev’s Patanjali pharmacy or any other organic Amla juice such as this. Do not eat anything for at least one hour after that. Since fresh Amla is not available at all times, you can use dry Amla powder as well. It’s readily available at any Ayurvedic pharmacy. Mix 3 grams of dry Amla powder with water or honey and have it at night after your dinner. Regular intake of Amla removes toxins from blood, aids the formation of red blood corpuscles, relieves urinary problems and helps in irregular menstruation. Try this for 2 months at least and you’ll notice the difference. You’ll feel more youthful and energetic as well.
Soak 1½ tsp of fenugreek (methi) seeds in water the previous night and in the morning you can see that they swell up. Have it regularly on an empty stomach. Alternatively, you can try fenugreek tea. You can use soaked fenugreek seeds for this prupose also. Boil a cup of water and add 1½ tsp of fenugreek seeds and let it simmer on a low flame. When the water reduces to three-fourths, turn off heat and have it in sips when it is sufficiently hot. You may add jaggery (Amazon) / molasses / brown sugar (Amazon) for taste if you wish. Have this fenugreek tea twice a day, once on an empty stomach and once at night before going to bed.
Fenugreek tea is especially helpful for those who are bugged by PCOS / PCOD problems as it helps normalize blood sugar levels. If taking fenugreek seeds in the morning or fenugreek tea is not viable for you, you may take it once in the afternoon by mixing a tsp of fenugreek seeds powder (buy from here) in a glass of thin buttermilk. Having Fenugreek helps in resolving menstrual problems including irregular and late periods as well as leucorrhoea or white discharge. It also reduces swelling in the uterus and cleans the uterine vessels.
Horsegram is also called Hurali in Kannada and Kulith in Konkani / Marathi. Eating dishes that have Horsegram (Kulath) can also bring about your period as horsegram is believed to be heat-producing food as per Ayurveda. It’s also good for diabetics. You can have it Horsegram Saar (soup) (See recipe here and here) or this chutney or dosa.
Other Herbal Remedies for tackling irregular menstruation
* Make a decoction of the aerial roots of banyan and consume with half a glass of cow’s milk at bedtime for at least 3 menstrual cycles.
* Take a decoction of the roots of bitter gourd (karela) at least twice a day; this usually makes the period to commence.
* Saunf (fennel) seeds also found to be helpful in menstrual irregularities.
* Boil the roots of the fig (anjeer) and take the filtered decoction for a few weeks to normalize the cycle.
* A small cupful of the decoction prepared from the leaves or the seeds of coriander (cilantro) thrice a day is found to be useful in regulating the menstrual cycle.
* A cup of grape juice everyday is also believed to bring regularity of the menstrual cycle.
* Take a teaspoonful of radish seeds and grind it with water to make a fine paste. Mix this paste with a cup of buttermilk and drink.
* In scanty menses: Drink a decoction of Manjistha / Indian madder roots for an entire cycle i.e. everyday to correct anemia, if any and establish a healthy flow of menstrual blood. [Manjistha is available at any Ayurvedic pharmacy in India. You can also buy from Amazon - Manjistha root Powder Wildcrafted - Rubia cordifolia, 1 lb,(Bazaar of India)]
* Eating raw carrots also stimulate menstruation. A week before menses eat 1-2 carrots regularly.
* For irregular menstruation, make a hot infusion of neem bark and take one cup in the morning, noon and evening until cured.
Pranayam and Yoga for treating irregular periods
* Practising Kapalabhati Pranayam for 15-20 minutes each time, twice a day helps to regularize the cycle and also alleviates other disorders of the reproductive system. Agnisara kriya is another such practice that helps.
* Padahastana is a yogic pose that an help a great deal in making your periods regular. For more information on this asana, read this post and watch the video here. Other poses that help are Trikonasana (triangle pose), supta baddha konasana, Titliasana (the butterfly pose), Shalabhasana (locust pose), Bhujangasana (the serpent pose), Malasana etc. Surya Namaskara (Sun Salutation pose) also helps tremendously. However all these asanas have to be learnt under a competent yoga guru and not to be attempted on your own.
- Home Remedies for white discharge (leucorrhea)
- Home Remedies for painful menstruation
- Home remedies for PMS (Pre-Menstrual Syndrome)
- Home remedies for excessive and heavy bleeding (menorrhagia)
- A tip for painful menses.
- Why do I get constipated before menses?
- Is it normal to have a 7 days period?
Note: Please click Load more ... link above the comments column to view more comments