Though there are many chemical and herbal over-the-counter preparations to remove lice, it is better to refrain from using them for they might also remove a good bit of your hair, while others could have a drying effect on the hair. There are many home-remedies which do work well but the age-old method of regular combing with a close-toothed comb on all counts, is the most effective method to get rid of lice. The first application of these home made preparations is usually not sufficient to kill all the lice or eggs (nits). It’s not unusual to see tiny lice the day after treatment. It means that new ones have hatched out. That’s why a second treatment, a week after the first to destroy all the new lice that have hatched out since the first treatment is necessary.
Home remedies for head lice
* Shampoo your hair well using any ordinary shampoo and also rub in lots of conditioner which makes it hard for lice to keep a grip.
* To prevent lice spreading to other members of the family, vacuum sofas, beds, quilts and wash bed sheets, clothing, towels, etc in warm soapy water and let them dry in sunlight. Brushes and combs should also be soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and dried.
Applications for the scalp:
* Take 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix it in an equal quantity of ginger juice. Rub it gently on the scalp and keep it on for at least 5-6 hours. If possible, leave it overnight. Wash your hair the next morning.
* Take Tulsi (basil) leaves, grind them and apply all over the scalp for the same duration as above or leave it overnight. Shampoo off in the morning.
* Grind leaves of guava with turmeric powder into a fine paste. Apply this paste on the hair and leave it overnight. Wash the hair the next morning. Repeat the treatment after a week.
* Grind neem seeds with water into a fine paste. Smear this paste on the hair. Wash it after six hours with the decoction of neem leaves. This treatment is quite effective in getting rid of head-lice. The bitter and pungent decoction of neem will kill the lice. Repeat the treatment after a week.
* Mix lemon juice and garlic juice. Massage at the roots of the hair with this mixture.
* Massage into the roots of your hair, a paste of bitter almonds.
* Apply the paste made of the finely powdered seeds of Custard apple (Sitaphal) with water at bed-time and leave it overnight. The paste should not come in contact with your eyes.
* Soak the hair well with tobacco paste and cover with a cloth for two to three hours to suffocate the lice. Then rinse thoroughly with the emulsion of soap nut (reetha).
* Dissolve 3 grams of alum in half a litre of water and apply this paste on your scalp. Leave it on for nearly 6 hours.
* A remedy using aromatherapy oils. Mix 4 drops of rosemary, 4 drops of geranium, 8 drops of eucalyptus and 8 drops of tea tree oils in 30 ml. of vegetable oil. Spread over the head. Leave on for 30 minutes before combing with a fine tooth comb. Shampoo out and repeat after two days.
Related Posts That You May Like: