Most of you must be knowing that today (October 15th) is Global Hand Washing Day. As for me, I am very particular about washing my hands. I normally use Dettol handwash or Dettol antibacterial soap every now and then to clean my hands thoroughly. It's not really necessary to use an antibacterial soap, even an ordinary soap will do, as recent research has found that antibacterial soaps offer no more protection than good ol' fashioned soap and water.
But for those of you who do not think that washing hands isn't that important, read this:
Handwashing with soap is the most effective and inexpensive way to prevent diarrheal and acute respiratory infections, which take the lives of millions of children in developing countries every year. Turning handwashing with soap before eating and after using the toilet into an ingrained habit could save more lives than any single vaccine or medical intervention, cutting deaths from diarrhea by almost half and deaths from acute respiratory infections by one-quarter.
The promotion of handwashing with soap is also a key strategy for controlling the spread of the H1N1 virus – another major focus of the planned events in many countries on 15 October.
Here are some more resources that tell you why you should wash your hands too often:
- Hand washing: An easy way to prevent infection (Mayo Clicnic)
- Hand washing is the best way to prevent the spread of infection.
- Why do I need to wash my hands?
The right way of cleaning your hands:
- Turn on water, preferably to a warm, comfortable temperature.
- Use approximately a dime sized squirt of liquid hand soap (or according to manufacturer's instructions).
- Lather and rub hands together for at least 20 seconds (Sing the "Happy Birthday" song twice).
- Be sure to wash well between fingers and under nails, although using a nail brush is not necessary.
- Rinse all soap off hands.
- Using two paper towels, dry hands completely.
- Turn off faucet with paper towels, then discard towels in garbage can. More...
Also check this interesting video clip from Hygiene matters:
- Global Hand washing Day (2nd Edition)
- Shame 'boosts hand-washing rate' (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Preventing the Flu: As Simple as Soap? (timesunion.com)
- Don't Wait for Hot Water to Wash Your Hands [Health] (lifehacker.com)
- Wash hands, linens and surfaces to limit flu (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
You might also like: