When you see those thick, scaly, white flakes’ dropping on your dress you know you have that itchy, annoying skin disorder of the scalp called dandruff. It is all the more embarrassing when people point out this to you. The feigned sympathetic looks on their faces and a concern which almost seems to mock you is even more exasperating. You mumble something and try and manage the situation by changing the topic but inwards you fume and fret and curse yourself for wearing a light colored dress that day. And you fervently wish that you could really do something about this evil flaky nuisance.
Here’s an easy remedy to make those white flakes fall off quickly- Right before you go to bed, dampen your scalp with a little warm water and then rub a little baby oil, (slightly warmed olive oil will also do) into your scalp. When you wake up, shampoo as usual. The oil will penetrate the scalp and help soften and loosen up the dandruff scales, so they fall right off in the shower the next morning.
Try these tips and remedies over a period to time to cure your scalp of dandruff.
* Best way to control dandruff is washing. Depending on the severity, wash hair daily, alternate day or twice a week.
* Expose the scalp to sunlight for a while, being careful not to get sunburnt. Don’t try this in very hot sun and during summer.
* Brush your hair everyday to improve circulation and remove flakiness.
* Follow, strict hair hygiene by washing your combs, brushes, pillow covers and towels in an anti-septic lotion. Never lend or borrow a comb or hairbrush.
* Antibacterial mouth wash like Listerine should be mixed with 50 percent distilled water and rubbed on the scalp after shampooing. This keeps the yeast level down and the chances of getting dandruff becomes less!
* Mix two tablespoons of vinegar and six tablespoons of hot water. Dab with cotton into the scalp, parting the hair with a comb apply all over the scalp. Preferably it should be used at bedtime. Tie a scarf over the hair to avoid staining the pillow. Next morning wash the hair with shampoo. After the hair is thoroughly cleansed pour over as a last rinse a mixture of three tablespoons of vinegar and one cup of hot water. Then dry the hair thoroughly. This should be done twice a week for three months. For more home remedies on dandruff click here and here.
If you suffer from stubborn or persistent dandruff, you may need to see a dermatologist who can prescribe stronger treatments and identify which works best for you.
Related Posts That You May Like: