Hoarse voice (laryngitis) is the term used to denote the inflammatory condition of the larynx- the voice box. In Ayurveda this is called ‘swarabheda’.
* Short term viral or bacterial infection due to an attack of cold.
* Intake of exceedingly hot and cold drinks.
* Drinking ice-cold water or any other cold beverage, eating an ice-cream immediately after taking fried food.
* May also be caused by some other irritants like smoking, pan chewing, gutka, alcohol etc.
* People working in dusty environments or those who use their voices continuously like singers, speakers etc.
* Abnormal growth in the throat, infection of lungs due to tuberculosis may be some other factors.
Signs and symptoms
* The characteristic sign is a hoarse voice, which may lead to total voice loss.
* A sore throat and difficulty in swallowing is also common. Fever and cough may also follow.
* The tongue may develop tastelessness.
* Chronic laryngitis develops over a period of time and sufferers may cough and clear their throats regularly and always have a hoarse voice.
Home remedies for hoarse voice
1. Inhale the vapors coming out of hot water in which a few drops of eucalyptus oil have been added, for about 10 minutes.
2. Add some black pepper powder to a cup of warm milk, and drink the mixture twice a day. A little bit of sugar can also be added.
3. The fresh juice of tulsi(basil) leaves and 1 tsp of honey well mixed should be taken 3 to 4 times a day.
4. Akkarakara (root of Anacyclus pyrethrum). Make a fine powder of Akkarakara, and use in small doses of 300 to 600 mg twice a day with warm water. This increases the secretion of saliva, and thereby useful in hoarse voice.
5. Steam inhalation of turmeric water. Add a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi) to 15 to 20 ml of water.
6. Boil a cup of water. Add a tsp of salt to it and gargle with this water as many times as possible during the day.
7. Ayurvedic remedy: Jeshta madhu(liqorice) is found to be useful. 2 gm of powder well mixed in a cup of milk should be taken twice a day.
Ginger, black pepper, salt, garlic, dry grapes and ghee are useful in this condition. Food stuffs like pickles, curds, spicy food, all kinds of sour food, spicy food should be avoided.
Smoking and alcohol consumption are a strict no-no.
Don’t expose the throat to cold wind or cold water. Avoid taking head bath for a few days.
See also: Home remedies for cough / Home remedies for common cold/ Home Remedies for fever / Keep your voice young and healthy