Home remedies for fever
1. Tulsi (Holy Basil) is a well known home remedy useful in all types of fevers like viral, bacterial or malarial.
A decoction can be prepared by adding 10 gm of fresh leaves and 2 gm of black pepper powder to 50 ml of water. This can be taken 3 times a day. It is a good remedy for fevers.
2. Juice or tender fresh leaves of neem is also effective in fevers. 1 tsp of the juice should be mixed with honey and should be taken twice a day. . It works both as curative as well as preventive.
3. In cases of chicken pox and measles intake of this decoction rids one of vesicles; external application of neem leaves decoction on itching lesions provides relief.
4. Bitter gourd (‘Karela’) is very helpful in bringing down temperature. It can be consumed in the form of curry, soap, salad, gravy when one is feeling feverish.
5. Take ‘coriander (dhaniya) tea’ prepared with coriander decoction, very little milk and sugar. This causes sweating and brings down temperature.
6. Water boiled in cumin (jeera) and ginger (adrak) can be used as a beverage in mild fevers and colds.
7. Mix a few cloves of garlic with some til (sesame) oil or ghee and take it before a warm nutritious meal to bring down fever of any type.
8. Steaming the body with water to which khus khus (poppy seeds) is added causes perspiration and brings the temperature down. Water boiled with khus khus may be used as a drink in feverish conditions.
9. The roots and leaves of lotus (kamal) which are available at all seasons can be made into a decoction to bring down fevers of all types.
10. A paste of pachakarpooram or edible camphor and sandal (chandan) applied over the body reduces temperature.
11. Snake gourd (Paraval) is the most recommended vegetable to be used in one’s diet owing to its cooling, digestive and febrifuge properties.
Make a decoction of equal quantities of snake gourd and fresh coriander leaves and drink an ounce or two of this mixture thrice a day to reduce high temperatures.
12. Drinking the juice of the leaves of tamarind (imli) with some turmeric (haldi) powder and cold water to get rid of infections and fever.
13. Caffeine in tea acts as a diuretic and brings down temperature.
14. Boil water and add the following to prepare a decoction: tsp of turmeric powder, some ginger pieces, onion pieces, lemon grass, half a tsp of black pepper, 5-6 tulsi leaves. Drink this decoction thrice a day to bring down fever.
See also: Home remedies for headache / Home remedies for common cold / Home remedies for dandruff /Home remedies for eczema / Home remedies for flatulence / Home remedies for anemia / Home remedies for wounds